Credit-card fraud is a serious crime in New York. If you’re accused, you need a credit-card fraud lawyer in New York City to defend you.
In the United States, credit card fraud is cited as the cause of billions of dollars in financial damage to individuals each year. In the past, credit card fraud was often limited to physically taking another person’s credit card, or opening a credit account in another person’s name. Today, however, with the prevalence and accessibility of electronically stored personal data and online transactions, credit card fraud has found a new venue. As the importance of information security continues to rise, prosecutors are seeking to punish those accused of credit card fraud to the fullest extent of the law.
What Is Credit Card Fraud?
Credit card fraud often involves identity theft. It can include:
- Physically stealing a credit card and assuming the victim’s identity, in order to purchase merchandise
- Theft of credit card data
- Using credit card data without authorization to make online purchases
- Opening a new credit card account using someone else’s personal information
- Producing or using forged credit cards